Monday, August 17, 2015

My Wicked Marquess

My Wicked Marquess by Gaelen Foley

I was twice surprised by this book from Gaelen Foley. I originally thought it was a new release, but found it was an older book newly released in audio that I hadn't heard about, so it was new to me. Having read Ms. Foley before, I was also surprised by how different it felt than her other work I have read. This is a series in which it's not just the story of one couple and then continues on with a story about another character from a previous book, which I also love. But, this is a true serial, in which part of the story is completed, but more remains to be revealed. In this story we are treated to Max and Daphne. Max is quite likable from the beginning. Daphne tends to be unreasonable at times which makes for some humorous situations for the reader and frustrating ones for Max. She's so determined not to attach herself to a man that can't open himself completely to her, that she often has Max feeling more frustrated and confused than resistant. We follow their story from their meeting to their happily ever after. However, we are introduced to the inferno club, and all of its secrets are not revealed. It left me wanting to know more about the inferno club and glad book 2 is already available.
The narrator, Annette Chown, did a wonderful job. I was left with a question about Drake's mother. At times it sounded as though his mother spoke with a Jamaican lilt. It did not detract. It just made me wonder if she'd grown up, or spent some time their. It was interesting to hear. I don't yet know Drake's story. Ms. Chown did a great job bringing these characters to life and expressing the story itself.
***** 4 Stars
Reviewed by Marla Josephs
http://www.marlajosephs.com/
https://www.facebook.com/Marlajosephsauthor?ref=aymt_homepage_panel
https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/7701220.Marla_Josephs

No comments:

Post a Comment