Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Giving Chase

Amazon
Giving Chase by Hannah Hooton

This was a really interesting story. I wasn't sure I was going to enjoy this read. I was really on the fence. But, I ended up pleasantly surprised. It was a bit long and tended to meander at times, YET I didn't mind.
The relationship between Rys and Frankie developed slowly. But, it wasn't too slow. The whole story kind of flowed organically. I thought Doug was a bit gruff and at times a jerk. There were definitely a lot of jerky moments for several characters. Ms. Hooton did a good job of making everyone human, and show their good and bad sides. Frankie at times was naive and made questionable decisions, but that wasn't a detraction. It was something that anyone can see in the people around them that make them human. There are a lot of things I could say about which characters irritated me, made me mad, etc. HOWEVER, these are not things that would be negatives about the book. It speaks to Ms. Hooton's ability to draw you in and make you care enough to go through a few emotions about the characters as you follow them through the journey to the end of the story. And, there were a lot of funny and sweet moments of the book that I loved.
This was a racing story and I thought that the romance and other human dynamics that developed around the racing element of the story is what made it work so well. It didn't just feel like a typical romance, but like following the story of the lives of the characters for this specific period of time.
Overall a wonderful listen. I thought the narrator, Elan O'Connor was really great. She has this wonderful quirkiness. And, some of the voices she did would probably not have gone as well without her charming accent. But, somehow, the accent and Elan's performance gave them so much character and life. I loved her Rys and Frankie voice. Overall just a great job.

A copy of this audiobook was provided for an honest review

Reviewed by Marla Josephs
http://www.marlajosephs.com/
Marla's GoodReads Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment