Friday, November 6, 2015

The Fine Art of Keeping Quiet

The Fine Art of Keeping Quiet by Charity Tahmaseb

I really enjoyed this book. It's a YA book about a girl who doesn't like pubic speaking having to join a speech club to save her grade. Sounds boring right?. But, it so wasn't. I listened to the sample and that sold me on giving it a try. It was a well written, well performed, wonderful little story. I'm so glad I took a chance on this book. The characters were relatable as was her fear of public speaking. This has got to be one of the most dreaded requirements for many students in high school and college. Reasons my be different, but the distaste for it is the same.
At times I didn't understand why Jolia went to such lengths for her friend. And, I didn't understand why she just didn't tell Sam what was going on so he wouldn't wonder and risk losing him. But, it wasn't a distraction. The things we do for our friends.
The speech tournaments were quite interesting. And, I just loved Sam's character. What a sweetie! Overall, just a wonderful listen.
The narrator, Ashley Klanac did a great job. She is also new to me. Her characters were well performed, believable and she just pulled you into the story.
This book was an ARC from the author. And, I'm so glad I agreed to give this one a try. I normally don't care for YA. Kid-lit, yes. But YA, no. But, this was great. I look forward to more from this author. YA at its best.

Reviewed by Marla Josephs
http://www.marlajosephs.com/
Marla's GoodReads Reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment